Sunday, March 30, 2008

Turning 30

Well, with exactly 6 days left in my twenties I’m not sure how to feel. I’m excited to be starting a new chapter in my life. I’ve got a great life. Phenomenal family, amazing friends, great job and the beauty of knowing that I worship an awesome God. That doesn’t mean that I’m not a little apprehensive about turning the big 30. I remember turning 20 and thinking that would be the year that God would give me a husband, I would start planning a wedding and get ready to “start my life.” It’s funny looking back on it now. Good gracious I wasn’t ready for any of that when I was 20. I’ve had to grow up, a lot. I’ve learned how to be by myself and be responsible for myself. Does that mean I’m perfect, no of course not, but at least I can go to the grocery store by myself…that’s right I wouldn’t do that when I was twenty.

I remember worrying about how I was going to go to the movies and go out and eat with my friends on the same allowance I was getting from my parents when I was twenty. Now I’m concerned about money in retirement funds and wanting to purchase a home. Wow. Things have changed. I still have some of the same close friends, and my relationship with my family.

I’ve gone from a college student to a college and career counselor. I’ve gone from co-dependant to independent. I’ve gained so much experience and I can’t wait to see what God has in store for my life.

One thing remains the same through the last ten years. I love shoes...but I'd rather go bare footed any time!



1 comment:

Andy said...

Yeah, it's funny how things change so much and time flies by in a matter of only ten years. At first, I hated the thought of turning 30, but now I'm fairly content with the whole idea. It's weird too, like you said, having to think about things like retirement funds and all that. But it's what you gotta do. I do feel alot more settled now; I did the whole party scene in my 20s and I don't feel like doing it so much anymore. And I'm glad to say I've been smoke free for 3 months now. whoo hoo. Well, I wish you all the happiness and fun on your Birthday this week. Enjoy it and my all your wishes come true. God Bless. :-D