Wednesday, April 2, 2008

What the Deuce?

If you know me really well, you know I love Family Guy. My favorite expression is Stewie's signature line, "What the Deuce." Apparently I use it so much that my nieces have picked it up, much to my sister and bro-in-law's chagrin. I think it's funny.


Anywho...I had a true, "What the Deuce" moment Tuesday night. A major blast from the past if you will. The phone rang at 8:15 or so and it was Eric Powell. Who is Eric, you might ask. Eric is my mom's best friend's son. I've literally known him since I was born. He just over a year older than me. We spent summers, Christmases and other various parts of our lives together until right before he got married my freshman year of college. First time I watched movie with a boy, first time a guy called me pretty, first time I didn't care that he wasn't the book smart type..Eric. I call his mom aunt and uncle.

So, he got married after getting his then girlfriend pregnant. It's east texas, we do the right thing. Although they live about a mile from my granddad I have managed to not really see him much since the wedding. She totally doesn't like me. It's just weird.

So my mom ran into him a few weeks ago at the grocery store. And he asked mom how I was, she said fine and they chit chatted somemore. He calls me Monday and says he's spent the day tracking me down because he wanted to catch up. We proceed to talk to each other for two hours while he is at work.

It's just weird. I guess because he's married? I don't know. It was really nice to catch up, but also just strange. Made me say, "what the duece"?

No comments: