Sunday, March 30, 2008

Baptism

Growing up confused...mom's methodist, dad pentacostal. Going to UMHB confused me more because I saw a lot of politics interrupted within the faith. So I joined the church of christ after a long time of thinking. At the time I think I was searching for something, when all the time, it was truly God's will. One Sunday night the minister talked to us about a passage in James, so I wanted to include these verses because they really are the reason that I was baptized. I got baptised on a Tuesday night, after during an elder's meeting. It was almost 7 years ago...but boy was it awesome.

22But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

Don't just sit and listen to the word; react--do not kid yourself.

23For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:

Because if you just listen and don't react you are fooling yourself

24For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.

A liar looks at himself and just continues

25But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

If you follow the will and words of God and do not ignor him, you will be blessed.

26If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.

If you claim to be religious and fool your own heart, you aren't truly His

27Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Do not be of this world, but work with those who can not help themselves, and be of God

It truly was this passage in James that let me know that I should follow the will of God.

No comments: