Sunday, March 30, 2008

Why I am Church of Christ

Why church of Christ...
First and foremost, I am a child of God. A twenty-eight year old child, but a child none the less. I picked the verse in the title of my blog from my favorite Bible verse, Psalm 94:19. I truly believe that our only true comfort is resting assuredly in the fact that our Lord and Savior has a plan, sometimes beautiful, sometimes not, for our lives.

Does that mean I believe that we don't have free will...absolutely not. I believe that our choices take us down a path that we need to go down. God knows what route we are going to choose before we even take it...we can fight it all we want, but we will end up where he wants us to.I'm a member of the church of Christ--and I love it.

The church often gets called fundamental, degrading to women, or old fashioned, but as a member( who is female and very well educated thank you very much) I have to disagree. Fundamental, by definition means serving as an original or generating source or of or relating to essential structure, function, or facts--doesn't sound to bad to me. We are a New Testament church, which basically means that we believe that the New Testament is our roadmap of life. We "speak where the bible speaks and are silent where the bible is silent" to quote a much used phrase. It just means that we don't use outside sources as a daily reference guide to life. I read devotional books and church history books all the time...that's not the point. But I don't use a book of prayer or any other form of liturgical press that tells me what the bible says, we use the Bible itself. To me, its less confusing that way...and one of the main reasons that I became a member of the body of Christ.

Secondly, I have never felt that the church has degraded me. I feel as though women are highly revered in our church and in Christianity. I will find it a pleasure, and my purpose to be both a Christian wife and mother. I also, however, am a counselor with a Master's degree, a former teacher, a friend, and sister. I have not taught at church, but know many women who do teach classes on Sundays and Wednesdays. I do however believe that 1 Timothy outlines what formal worship should look like, and women should take a secondary role. Old fashioned--A) Why is that bad, and B) What does that mean? Most often I am questioned about the "wives submit to your husbands" thing. This is so taken out of context in Ephesians...what the bible says is: 22Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything. 25Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26to make her holy, cleansing[b] her by the washing with water through the word, 27and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church.

I look at it like this...its a compromise. Duh.Anyway...off my soapbox...will write more later

No comments: