Monday, September 27, 2010

O.M.G.

So I think it just hit me this weekend that I'm going to Africa. Seriously.

I've known this was going to happen for the last month or so, but as is the story of my life, I've procrastinated comprehension until this point.

I've never let the country.

Next Saturday I'll start my day in North America, and end it in Asia...Dubai, UAE in the Middle East. The next morning I'll be in Africa. Holy Crap. Texas on Saturday and two continents later over the next 36 hours. And I've never been to Mexico. Kind of put things into perspective about how big and small the world really is.

I'm petrified. Really, I am. I haven't flown in five years, the last time I ended up in handcuffs, and I'm pretty sure that I'm going to get frisked every time we stop.

I'm afraid of how emotional this is going to be. I get choked up at Hallmark commercial, episodes of Oprah and downright blubbery at Extreme Home Makeover. And we are bringing a kid back. What if she doesn't like me? What if this is devastating to her, which it will be? How is this going to effect Dawn, Tony and the girls? Not to mention my parents who are beyond freaked out?

We are changing her life in an immeasurable way, and I know she'll change ours too.

I'm afraid of those things too.

I don't know if I'm ready for the changes that I feel that God's about to throw out at me. I've always said I need some in your face direction from God, but I'm really about to get it, and it makes me nauseated. Like first date nauseated. And if you know me, you know what that means.

I'm hoping to blog about the trip while the trip is actually happening, but I can't make any sort of promises. It would be awesome to have access to the internet while I'm away from the US of A, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

So, it's 10:15 on Monday night here, which means it's 7:15 Tuesday morning in Dubai, and 6:15 in Ethiopia. I get exhausted the first week of Daylight savings time, so this time change should be fun. :o) Oh well, just looking at this puts it all in perspective. I'm hoping I'll be too busy smiling and playing to get wrapped up in the craziness of it all.

3 comments:

Haley Hawthorne said...

YOU'LL BE FINE. Let me know how going through the airport works for you. I want you to come see me in Germany.

The Oakey's said...

I haven't talked to you in way too long! I am sure everything will be great on your adventure! I hope you can keep everyone updated, I will watch for updates! Good luck!

Dawn said...

1. The trip will be fine. It will be nothing like we expect, but fine.
2. You will not get arrested, and if I'm wrong then I'll just pretend I don't know you. Be sure you pack that letter from your character reference.
3. As your sister (by womb and in Christ) if God slaps you in the face, I'll be there to congratulate you on your close encounter with the Lord and support you in whatever he directs you to do :)

We'll have a great and life changing experience and I'm so excited to be able to share it with my little sister! Oh, and when I have a nervous breakdown, I'll be sure and blame it on you since you went with me thereby and henceforth in the land of sisters that means YOU MADE ME DO IT :) See YOU Sat!