Friday, August 1, 2008

Trees and Wires


When I went to UMHB I thought that people were crazy when they said that God spoke to them. Really. Delusional much? Part of me thought that God really was going to say, "Debra, the answer to number 5 is D." Never happened. I prayed for God to speak to me and never heard a thing.

Flash forward a few years, and it hit me that God speaks through other people, through the decisions we make and those that are made for us. I shouldn't wait around for God to give me the answers that I want, but I should be quiet enough and observant enough to know when he's telling me something.

I love how He does it. He uses a friend's comments about something remind you that He is faithful to your prayers. He uses students who struggle with every thing from their families to their grades and social skills. He uses the idea of a student balanced on a wire a ropes course to make you realize that you need Him. You see, you can't make it around the ropes course without holding onto one another...and trees. Huge live oak and pine trees that are anchors. Huge anchors that don't move, haven't changed in hundreds of years. Trees that you can lean on and they won't budge, no matter how hard you push.

It's been a good week and I have a feeling it will be a good year. I pray that I am open enough to hear the things that He might be saying.


Jeremiah 17:7-8
7 But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him.
8 He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green.
It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.

1 comment:

erinharper99 said...

I love that..."Debra the answer is D..." that is what I always wonder at school too. Why don't get that, but I guess part of growing up is learning that he does talk to us...in just ways I think we both NEVER dreamed...